NACADA's TPHAC Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philosophy Forum Meet & Greet

4 posters

Go down

Philosophy Forum Meet & Greet Empty Philosophy Forum Meet & Greet

Post by Admin Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:28 am

Take a moment to say Hi to others here in the Philosophy Forum. You can share your name, institutional affiliations, how long you've been in advising, and what interests you in the fascinating fields of philosophy.

Admin
Admin

https://tphac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Philosophy Forum Meet & Greet Empty Re: Philosophy Forum Meet & Greet

Post by RDScheckel Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:40 am

Hello, all! My name is Ryan Scheckel and I am at Texas Tech University. I've been in advising since 2002, working in different roles with different student populations along the way. I am particularly interested in the ways philosophy can provide frameworks to explain and perhaps organize our thinking about the ideas that influence our work.
RDScheckel
RDScheckel

Back to top Go down

Post by cjvenable Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:37 am

Aloha friends. I'm CJ Venable. I coordinate advisor training and professional development at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln which operates on lands belonging to the Pawnee, Ponca, Oto-Missouria, Omaha, Dakota, Lakota, Arapaho, Cheyenne, Kaw, Winnebago, Ho-Chunk, Iowa, and Sac and Fox Peoples. I've been doing this work here since 2020 but began in advising as a graduate assistant in 2013. I recently finished a PhD in Cultural Foundations of Education; my dissertation used both philosophical and qualitative methods to explore questions about whiteness and emotions in professional development in higher education and student affairs. I used a wide-ranging set of texts mostly falling into the realms of cultural politics of emotion, critical whiteness studies, and settler colonial studies. I tried to answer questions about the utility of 'bad feelings' (like guilt and shame) in white anti-racism.

I am acutely interested in how advising is enmeshed with what Sandy Grande calls "deep structures of colonialist consciousness" and with hegemonic whiteness. I am also interested in the political and ethical ramifications of the modern student success movement, perhaps the most prominent metaphor for advising these days.
cjvenable
cjvenable

RDScheckel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtxyst Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:10 pm

Kurt Xyst, University of Washington. Also been in academic advising since 2002, all of that time in university/general advising at UW. My theoretical and research interests run toward metaphysics of education & advising with particular focus in pragmatism and hermeneutics.

kurtxyst

RDScheckel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum